SNAP to it! | Food benefits for students


By Whitney Oliphant, Staff Reporter

“Students who are enrolled in a Career Technical program do not have to be working in order to qualify for SNAP benefits now,” said Sally Moore Achievement Coach at CNM.

For a list of the Career Technical Programs that qualify students for benefits please visit:

Students who are looking to apply for SNAP benefits can go into any local Income Support Division office (ISD) or go online at , Moore said.

There is a form that students will need to complete that is called an FSP 420 form and they can get this form from Financial Aid, CNM Connect, or an achievement coach, she said.

Students will need to fill out the top part of the form and then they will need to drop off the form with Financial Aid for them to complete, she said.

They will usually have the form ready for students to pick back up within 48 hours, she said.

If there are any issues with the application or if students are denied benefits, students should contact 505-255-2840 and get help, Moore said.

There are between 4 and 5 thousand students at CNM who qualify for SNAP benefits now that those who are enrolled in a Career Technical program do not need to be working, Moore said.

Those who are not enrolled in a Career Technical Program and need help with food may still qualify for benefits.

It only needs to be one of the qualifications to qualify for SNAP benefits, Moore said.

She said that if students have less than 150 dollars in cash then they have to receive snap benefits within 7 days.

Moore said that if students go into the ISD office to apply then someone has to meet with them that same day.

ISD has to process the application within 30 days and if that doesn’t happen then students should call as ISD is required to get it done right away, Moore said.

She said that there is no guaranteed eligibility and that students need to refer to the ISD office for issues or questions that come up with their benefits after they have submitted their application.

For any questions regarding SNAP benefits please visit the CNM Connect office or call CNM Connect at (505) 224-3186.

There are many different options available for students who need food such as Vets for Success who is teaming up with RoadRunner food bank to offer food boxes to students, Moore said.

For more options on how to get food please visit

For questions please call (505) 224-3186.



Places that those who need help with food can receive help:


Career Technical Programs that qualify students for benefits:


Qualifications include any one of the following, Moore said:

  • Students who are enrolled in a career technical education program (See the Career Technical Link)


  • Students that have a temporary or permanent physical or mental impairment


  • Students who just turned 50 or who are over 50 years of age


  • Students who are working at least 20 hours a week on average


  • Students who are enrolled less than half time


  • Students who are approved for and anticipating participation in a Work Study program


  • Students who receive TANF benefits;


  • Students who are responsible for a child under 6 years of age, OR are responsible for a child between the ages of 6 and 12 and cannot obtain childcare;


  • Students who are a full time student and a single parent with a child under 12


  • Students who are enrolled in a GED, ESL, or remedial program

Leave a Reply