Resource Reminder – CNM’s Annual Security Report

By Staff Reporter

Audrey Callaway Scherer

spolight
The cover of CNM’s Annual Security Report highlights the main contents of the catalog, but it includes much more than just policies and statistics to help keep the CNM Community safe.

CNM’s Annual Security Report (ASR) provides detailed information for students and the CNM community on safety, resources and students’ right to know about security issues, said CNM’s Clery Compliance Manager Judy Bazan.

Most students don’t know about the ASR, what it includes, why CNM has it, or how to access it, said Bazan.

The ASR includes information on how crimes are reported, sexual violence, crime prevention and emergency procedures, statistics, information on drugs, alcohol and weapons, and resources for help and more information.

“The Annual Security Report includes 89 pages of really great information,” she said.

The 2018 catalog includes a new section with information on being an active bystander and what you should do if you witness a crime. CNM Security attended a new training on this and has brought it back to teach students, she said.

Also new this year is a table listing the security-related trainings and events offered throughout 2017, she said.

It includes a list of Dos and Don’ts, an introduction to the security department with contact information, and the federally mandated provisions by which CNM abides and exceeds, she said.

sl
The introduction to CNM Security includes a picture of their building on the northwest corner of University and Basehart. A printed copy of the ASR is available for review in their office, or if students would like their own copy, Security can print one out for them to have.

 

The ASR highlights the Clery Act and discusses what crimes are reported and why, as well as information on timely notification – alerts are sent by email, although students may opt into text. It is important for students to know what is going on around CNM campuses, she said.

The Clery Act is federally mandated because of a lawsuit that took place when the parents of a student who was sexually assaulted and murdered sued the institution for not reporting their crimes – if they had known the school was so dangerous, they would not have enrolled their daughter there.

Crime statistic charts are broken down by campus and include three years of data in each edition.

About 50 to 60 percent of crimes on campus happen by offenders who originated off campus, she said.

The ASR also discusses the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) of 2013, which addresses sexual violence, stalking, etc. and includes information on how sex offenders are listed at CNM.

CNM works with the sheriff’s department regarding sex offenders and the ASR includes information for both the victim and offender, she said.

The ASR does this by providing resources for both victims and offenders and an outline of steps in the legal process. It notes that those who offend at CNM are reported to the police in addition to the Dean of Students for discipline, she said.

It also includes resources for students who seek counseling and mental help in lieu of the elimination of CNM’s Student Health Services Department in roughly September of 2016 from budget cuts, she said.

CNM is required to compose and release an updated Annual Security Report by October 1st of each year, according to the Clery Enforcement Act.

95 percent of what the ASR includes is mandated and the other 5 percent is extra that CNM Security felt was important to include, she said.

“CNM is one of the more active community colleges regarding safety,” she said.

In September of 2018 during CNM’s Campus Safety Week, Bazan introduced the new ASR in a presentation and skimmed through to show participants what is included.

“We’re very proud of our pictures,” said Sandra Chavez-Houck, a CNM Administrative Coordinator who assisted with the presentation.

sl2a
A graphic from the ASR gives a collection of safety tips.

CNM Security wants students to be mindful and aware and to avoid walking alone, with earbuds, while texting, and without awareness. Offenders, especially repeat offenders, will often look for those who are not paying attention, Bazan said.

CNM Security has many resources, especially since many members were formerly in law enforcement. This includes a connection with APD, she said.

Students can grab materials and information from security anytime.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s