By Rene Thompson, Staff Reporter
In this terrible economy, many students may be saying to themselves: ‘Man, learning stuff is cool, but being poor sucks.’
Have no fear; the CNM Chronicle is out to save students from feeling like an over-used stereo-type with a ton of ways to live well and save money.
There are many places in Albuquerque that offer student discounts; here is a small list of vendors giving that savings to students with ID’s. Inclusion on this list is not an endorsement.
- Students are entitled to a free annual bus pass, which can be picked up from the Student Activities Office on Main campus in the Student Services Center room SSC-109.
- 2200 Sunport Blvd. SE.
- Fast Park parking offers students and employees their cheapest short or long term parking rates and other exclusive specials at the Albuquerque International Sunport.
- 1701 Mountain Road NW
- A year-long pass to the hands-on learning center is $30 instead of the regular $45.
Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
- 1701 Mountain Road NW
- The center is a Native American museum with exhibits and collections of Indian art. Also available is the Pueblo Harvest Café and Bakery, which offers traditional Native American foods such as fry-bread and mutton stew, as well as fusion foods like blue-corn crusted fried chicken. Student admission is $3.
Cliff’s Amusement Park
- 4800 Osuna Road NE
- Admission prices are 20 percent off for students
Children’s Learning Garden
- 801 Girard Blvd NE
- Student parents can get discounted fees when qualifying for a financial program for low income households.
Little Light Child Care Center
- 128 Jackson Street NE
- 10 percent off for multiple children.
Monte Vista Day Care
- 3208 Monte Vista Blvd. NE
- Registration fees are waived for student parents at CNM.
UNM Fitness Center
- Johnson Center
- CNM students can take advantage of the $40 semester rate to have access to the Johnson fitness center. Students must provide a current schedule of classes and proof that their CNM courses have been paid in full.
- 5600 Menaul Blvd. NE
- Students can get a monthly pass to unlimited classes for $38 a month with one free month, compared to the full price at $58, a $20 monthly savings. Flavor fitness offers zumba, yoga, piyo (Pilates and yoga), and turbo kick classes.
- 300 Menaul Blvd. NW
- Offers CNM faculty and students free enrollment and $29.95 individual access monthly membership.
- 115 Harvard Drive. SE
- Offers “toasted” subs and a sizable selection of local beers on tap. Students get a free soda and bag of chips with a sandwich purchase on Mondays.
Fans of Film Café
- 504 Yale SE
- Offers burritos, pastries, sandwiches and an array of locally made coffee. 10 percent off for CNM students.
Mean Bao Bakery
- 3409 Central Ave. NE
- Offers Asian style baked goods, bagel dogs, and breads and free coffee or tea with the purchase of a $4.00 reusable coffee mug. 10 percent off.
Serafin’s Chile Hut
- 3718 Central Ave. SE
- Offers authentic New Mexican food. Students get a 15 percent discount.
U-Swirl Frozen Yogurt
- 115 Harvard Drive SE
- Large selection of frozen yogurts. 20 percent off for students
- 2210 Central Ave. SE
- Greek food in the heart of University area. 10 percent off any meal items for students.
Artisan Art Supplies
- 3017 Monte Vista Blvd. NE
- 10 percent off on any art supply items including sale and clearance items.
Frock Star Vintage Clothing
- 115 Harvard Dr. SE
- 20 percent off non clearance vintage clothing items.
- 500 Yale SE
- Any new scooter will be discounted $50 off.
Master Touch Automotive
- 4113 Menaul Blvd. NE.
- 10 percent off all services.
Rollin’ Ro’s Discount Tobacco
- 2347 Eubank Blvd. NE
- All tobacco, tubes and rollers 10 percent off for students.
Sachs Body Modification
- 3112 Central Ave. SE
- 10 percent off on any body piercing or tattoo.
Self-Serve Sexuality Resource Center
- 3904 Central Ave. SE
- 10 percent off any purchase.
The Guild Cinema
- 3405 Central Ave NE
- $5.00 ticket admission prices.
The Zone Gift Shop
- 2222 Central Ave SE
- 15 percent off most products.