By Whitney Oliphant, Staff Reporter
Water in the Desert is a project designed to raise awareness of water resource issues, said Sandra Rourke, English professor at CNM.
The Water In the Desert Project is a term-long, campus-wide, hands-on learning project centered on western water issues.
The project consists of service field trips, activities, film and speaker presentations, according to CNM.
The project is an eight week education series that has been hosted by the CNM sustainability curriculum committee, according to CNM.
Water in the Desert started on September 23 and will last until November 11, according to CNM.
The final event, a student conference and expo, will be held Wednesday Nov. 11 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the L Building on Main Campus, Rourke said.
The student conference and expo will feature the works and findings of students over the last eight weeks of the project, Rourke said.
Week 5 focused on institutional conservation and students have been encouraged to report water leaks that they may find or see around campus, according to the CNM webpage.
“We need to have a focus on water in the desert just given our environment and where we live and all the different ways that we don’t use water to its fullest potential and a lot of those are hidden so becoming aware of that is one way to stop the waste,” Rourke said.
Week 7, which was hosted by Rourke, focused on a water smart future which included seminars about raising backyard chickens, home composting, and a film on global food waste.
The film, Taste the Waste, was screened for students at the Montoya Campus last week but for those who were unable to make it, the film can be viewed for free by going to films on demand, Rourke said.
To report a water leak please follow the directions below:
- Visit the CNM Maintenance webpage: https://www.cnm.edu/depts/physical-plant/miantenance.
- Click on the “Maintenance work order form” under “Non-Emergency Requests” on the right side of the page.
- Log in using CNM ID and Password.
- On the top of the page, select “PPD Service Desk.”
- Click on “New Work Order.”
- Select the “Issue Information” tab on the left side of the page.
- In the subject line, write “water leak.”
- Select the “Water Project” box.
- Choose the Campus.
- Choose the building.
- Write in room # or location of leak.
- In “Type” field, choose “Maintenance” for leaks in buildings or “Grounds” for sprinkler leaks or other exterior leaks.
- In “Service Type” field, choose “Fix Pipe Leakage” for leaks in buildings or “Repair Sprinklers” for exterior leaks.
- Select the “Description” tab on the left side of the page.
- Write a description of where you saw the leak and what was leaking (i.e. “third stall from the left is running” or “sprinkler head damaged near the southwest corner of the parking lot,” etc.).
- Click “save” at the bottom right side of the page.
To watch Taste the Waste follow the directions below:
- Go to the library homepage at CNM: http://www.cnm.edu/depts/libraries/.
- Scroll down on this page and look under the subheading ‘resources’ until you get to DATABASES. Click on this term.
- On the database page, scroll down until you see the ‘Database by Subject’ region and then look for the term FILMS AND MEDIA. Click on this link.
- Under ‘Films and Media’ click on FILMS ON DEMAND.
- Enter the movie title of choice (Taste the Waste) into the search box.